iOS Devices in Education
10 Reasons for iOS Devices in Education Enhance your students’ academic success with innovative tools that personalise learning. iOS devices, such as iPad and iPod touch, support education in any subject area — whether your students are improving their reading fl uency, building maths skills or pursuing information sources beyond the classroom. Thanks to these powerful devices, students can enjoy anytime learning with a growing wealth of educational content, Internet resources, digital books and interactive applications. All at their fi ngertips.
1. Simple and intuitive. What could be more natural for students than to interact with a mobile device? Because students are already intimately familiar with mobile phones, iPods and hand-held games consoles, the learning curve is minimal when you introduce them to an iPad or iPod touch. The intuitive and responsive Multi-Touch screen allows students to read a book, interact with an app and page through websites with just the touch of a fi nger. The best part? They focus on the content, instead of learning how to use the device.
2. Learning on the spot. Lightweight and portable, iOS devices give students access to information and learning tools whenever the motivation strikes and wherever they happen to be. And since iPad and iPod touch are always ready — with built-in Wi-Fi and long battery life — students can get started instantly and work without interruption. They can explore science content, study maths concepts or practise a new language even while they’re on the bus, eating lunch or just hanging out at home. Welcome to 24/7 education.
3. An engaging experience. Learning seems more enjoyable to students when they use iOS devices. With help from innovative apps, digital books and learning games, students fi nd themselves immersed fully in the content — no matter what their learning style. And with this kind of engagement, iOS devices are great for increasing repetition and reinforcing skills. It’s never been so easy to get students to work on their multiplication tables or learn new vocabulary.
4. Every student is unique. With iPad and iPod touch, it’s more possible than ever to accommodate individual learning styles. As teachers, you can choose from thousands of educational apps to provide extra support for any learning need. You can even create a personalised iTunes playlist with just the learning content a student needs. Students can watch videos, listen to audiobooks or play great speeches in history. And thanks to built-in accessibility features and support for 30 languages, any student can use any iOS device. iPad and iPod touch make learning as individual as each student.
5. Connections are everything. With built-in Wi-Fi, iPad and iPod touch allow students anytime access to the Internet1 — while built-in Parental Controls settings allow you to ensure a safe and appropriate experience. Wi-Fi also makes it easy for students to print from iOS devices to printers on your school’s wireless network.2 Built-in Bluetooth® technology adds connectivity to keyboards, headphones and even specialised tools such as digital microscopes or science probes. So many easy connections means so many possibilities.
6. Class is always in session. Take advantage of high-quality work from distinguished universities, world-class museums and leading libraries. iTunes U is a special area of iTunes that delivers free educational content into the hands of students.3 They’ll benefi t from lectures, language lessons, audiobooks, fi lms, podcasts and exhibition tours — in just a few taps on iPad or iPod touch. Students can choose from more than 350,000 educational audio and video fi les provided by US state departments of education, hundreds of universities worldwide and notable institutions such as the V&A, Tate Modern and the BBC. Think of it as an expert on call for your students.
7. Tap into the App Store. Thousands of educational applications in the App Store unleash thousands of learning opportunities in your classroom. Students can explore new subjects, reinforce learning, express their creativity, get help with organisation and more. Innovative apps are available for early language development, algebra practise, building vocabulary, exploring physics, learning about ancient civilisations and so much more. With creativity apps such as GarageBand and iMovie, students can make their own music or use the built-in camera on their iOS device to capture photos or video and then produce their own digital movies. The possibilities are endless.
8. Get down to work. With iOS devices, students and educators have instant access to a collection of productivity tools for taking notes, keeping track of dates, browsing the web and sending and receiving email — all in a single device.4 iWork applications for iPad make it easy to create professional-looking documents, stunning presentations and compelling spreadsheets.5 Finished with your work? Use Mail to send a fi le via email or print straight from the device using AirPrint.2 Add other apps such as iHomework to keep students on task — or try ResponseWare or eClicker to turn iPad or iPod touch into a polling device.6 iOS devices can make every school day even more productive.
9. It’s story time. Imagine a world where students have access to hundreds of books with the tap of a fi nger. The iBooks app and the iBookstore make that world possible. Students can download books (many are free), and then use an iOS device to search and highlight text, add bookmarks and use the integrated dictionary. Those who need auditory support can choose from a wealth of audiobooks on iTunes. And there are also book apps on the App Store that let students explore interactively, hear stories in multiple languages or even record themselves as they read.
10. Ready for every student. iOS devices come with built-in accessibility technologies to help meet special-learning needs. VoiceOver, a gesture-based screen reader, assists visually impaired students. Those who are deaf or hard of hearing can download and watch closed-captioned content from the iTunes Store. And students with physical or motor skills difficulties fi nd the Multi-Touch interface easy to operate. The App Store offers innovative apps such as Dragon Dictation for transcribing recorded words into text files Proloquo2Go for students with difficulty communicating verbally; and Pocket SLP Articulation, developed by speech and language pathologists to provide a multi-sensory approach to speech therapy.6 iOS devices are uniquely equipped to let every student succeed.